Common causes of bloating include Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and constipation. However, there are a few other causes of boating. For chronic bloating you should make an appointment to see your doctor.
There are several reasons that the bacteria in the gut may produce excessive amounts of gas causing bloating:
1. The amount of gas bacteria produce varies from individual to individual.
Some people may have more bacteria or bacteria that produce more gas.
2. Poor digestion/ absorption of food in the small intestine.
This means more undigested food reaches the bacteria that live the colon. And the more undigested food the bacteria have to feast on, the more gas they produce. Poor digestion/ absorption of food in the small intestine may be caused by:
- Lactose intolerant (lactose is found in dair products)
- Sorbitol intolerant (sorbitol is commonly used sweetener in low calorie foods)
- Fructose intolerant (fructose is commonly used sweetener, candies and drink)
- Pancreatic insufficiency (lack of enzymes that break down food)
- HCL deficiency (insufficient stomach acid)
- Celiac disease
3. Bacterial overgrowth can occur in the small intestine